Sunday, September 10, 2006

3 wise guys

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I tested Tom a bit and decided the legs and spine are strong enough after all. He wobbles a bit because the head is so freakin' heavy, but he can hold himself up on one leg in a pretty extreme pose... leaning all the way over till his head is like an inch from the table. Essentially all that twisted wire is like a long spring under the heavy bobblehead, so it means after re-positioning the puppets for each frame I'll just have to wait till they stop bobbling!

So I went ahead and made Huck the same way... no leg bones. I still need to make some epoxy putty pelvic blocks for them, to secure all that wire together at the groinal area and to provide a solid 'grab point' that can be easily felt and held under the padding and the clothes. It's always a good idea to have the chest and pelvis be big solid blocks inside the puppet so you can easily move them.

5 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

Man, this progress is so exciting!! You are blazing a trail like a comet!! Woo hoo! These look perfect! Go Mike! You know, this film could, and by the looks of it so far will, be a classic stop motion art piece. I can't believe I know you.

UbaTuber said...

Lookin' good....undead-Twain anyone? :D You know I love it....

Darkmatters said...

I know Shelley... I can't believe you know me either! ;)

Hmmm... undead Twain. Now THERE'S an interesting idear! I didn't really notice before, but these little dudes do look an awful lot like zombies. And Scott did give me permission to use them for whatever I want after finishing up this little flick.....

mefull said...

Whoh Mike making some great progress - glad to see it.
Can't wait to see what you do with the clothing.
They should be fun to animate, great heads you lucky dog.

Darkmatters said...

Yeah, you can't do any better than to get heads made by Scott! I noticed something about some of them that's going to make for some fun animation... each side of the face has a different expression. Huck in particular has a drunkeye and a pissed-off eye (or shocked eye). A quick turn of the head will be as good a a replacement head!