Thursday, January 25, 2007

More paint

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I powdered them up tonight to get rid of the shine, and they looked too whitish and pale, so I mixed up some more paint and hit 'em again. Much closer now. It's frustrating that I can't match Scott's paint better than this.... I guess it's mostly because I only have like 5 colors plus black and white! A subtler pallette would make it much easier - well maybe. I just get confued when I look at the faces... no telling what kind of crazy mixes he used!

Also I'm getting upset with the new digital camera. It's so freakin' hard to adjust brightness.... with the animation cam all I have to do is turn a ring around the lens... one way it gets brighter, the other way ot gets darker, and I get instant feedback of exactly what it looks like on the monitor. Nohing like that with the still cam. Oh no, I have to go into manual mode and then compute variations of f-stop, shutter speed, exposure etc. Not only do you have to be a photographer, but a math wiz too! Sheesh!

6 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

So exciting. This photo looks great. You have a future in bra design too! (as far as the brightness on still cams, um, I guess I'ma cheatin using auto focus and everything. hee)

jriggity said...

It really doesnt look that off from the face paint....

.....if anything....just dabbing a little darker hue thats almost dry would maybe match the patchyness of his paints...

also maybe just having dirty hands would smudge some patchyness into her.

I am just brainstormin here....looks good to me as is.

either way...awesome possum!!

jriggity

Darkmatters said...

Oh, I use auto-focus too when I use the still cam. In fact, I don't think it allows manual focus. Hmmm... gonna be funky if I do try to animate with it. I really need to get my computer working right with the Hitachi.

Justin - you can't tell from this pic, but the patchiness is definitely there! In fact I worked hard with multiple paint mixes dabbing it on with pieces of paper towel to make sure it looks mottled. But the color looks so washed out in the pic you can't even tell! Why can't things just look the same on camera as they do to the human eye?!??!?

I noticed some time ago that if I use a paint mix with a lot of white it tends to look completely white on camera, even though the tint shows clearly in person. So I found I had to then mix up transparent washes of color with no white to paint over it, sometimes several coats. I guess these guys need another coat or two.

UbaTuber said...

Yeah, I had all of the same issues with my still cam....

I love washes, but they do have to be very dramatic to show on camera, which kind of defeats the purpose of a wash (subtlety?)....theres always that fine and frustrating line between what we see in our heads vs what we see in reality vs what we see on camera...but learning to walk that line is what filmmaking is all about I suppose....maybe its less of a line and more like concentric circles, with the finished film at the bullseye...
...as far as matching the head paintjobs, I think they look great so far...

Spoons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spoons said...

if i could ask-
do you know what the heads are made from?
i'm very curious,they look fantastic.